Thursday, October 14, 2010

A purpose driven life

I was watching “The Early Show” yesterday, and they featured an interesting piece on gossip. Apparently – as generations of women have known, but I guess academic researchers have nothing better to study – gossiping makes a person feel better about her own life.

Sharing good news – pregnancies, marriages, engagements, births – resulted in good feelings for the gossips. It's likely there won't be any good news to share about my life again, which makes me pretty damned sad.

Sharing bad news – such as, ahem, a person’s eighth miscarriage – caused the gossips to feel better about their own lives. It seems that my life brings bad news galore.

Just when I thought my life had no purpose, “The Early Show” gave me one – I am a reason for (most) other people to feel better about themselves. Yay.

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine a person who would feel better about themselves by sharing news about someone else's miscarriage. But I bet they exist.
    I hope everyone that is thinking about you is doing so with love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I think I would have wanted to smack someone on that show :( That's terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im catching up to you with #5 starting today. (The things I'm doing to help YOU feel better :)

    It sucks, so sorry, there's just no two ways about it. Lots of high grade liquor seems to help in my experience, the cheap stuff is for people who are spending their money on there CHILDREN. xx

    ReplyDelete